Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Chicken Salad (a.k.a. "Yummy Deliciousness")

Hi! I think this is the second time I'm adding a recipe here, so you know it has to be good. It's my most favorite recipe to make. Yummy and easy! This is my version of a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com, perfected over time. :)

INGREDIENTS
4 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1 cup chopped celery
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 apple, chopped
1 cup chopped pecans or slivered almonds
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise with paprika and seasoned salt. Blend in dried cranberries, celery, apple, onion, and nuts. Add chopped chicken, and mix well. Season with black pepper to taste. Chill 1 hour.

NOTES - I've used canned chicken in a desperate moment and it's still yummy
One full cup of mayo makes the mixture too wet for my taste so I use slightly less

This is good on just a slice of wheat or multigrain bread or in a croissant or straight out of the bowl! :)

7 comments:

emily said...

that does sound Very Good. i've made something similar, but i like the fact that your recipe has nuts, cranberries, etc. can't wait to try it!

would probably be good in a pita, too!

]\[-]{ said...

While the recipe title may be true, it doesn't help when you are searching for it later. Many recipes here could be described as yummy deliciousness. Could you change it to something more specific, like "Chicken Waldorf Salad?"

rebecca said...

Sure! At my house we actually call it "Yummy Deliciousness", but I see your point. :) Chicken Salad it is.

erinmalia said...

i made this this morning and rebecca is right--it is yummy deliciousness! i really like the paprika and seasoned salt; they add a different flavor that i'm used to for chicken salad.

i used two small-ish chicken breasts that gave me slightly more than two cups of diced chicken. halving this recipe still makes quite a bit; i think i'll get five (or more) sandwiches out of it.

emily said...

very, very yummy! our whole family really loved it. we 1/2 the recipe and had just enough for all of us - 2 parents and 2 small wee ones.

]\[-]{ said...

It appears I spoke too soon: "Yummy Deliciousness" has entered our family's lexicon. My wife asked if I wanted to have yummy deliciousness for lunch this week and I knew exactly what she meant. Adding a more descriptive name turns out to be unnecessary!

rebecca said...

Emily, Erin and ]\[-]{ - I'm so happy to hear "Yummy Deliciousness" is a hit in taste and description!