Monday, August 4, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1 c. vegetable oil
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
2 c. zucchini, grated
1 c. walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Mix oil and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; blend in vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to the first mixture; alternating with grated zucchini. Fold in chopped nuts. Pour into greased and floured 13x9 inch pan. Bake for 55 minutes.

E-notes: I got this recipe from my SIL, who said, "I feel all cakes should be chocolate and so added 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa to the dry stuff and enjoyed it immediately." I added the cocoa and loved it. Ben LOVES it. The kids loved it too. I topped mine with powdered sugar. I didn't add nuts because I didn't have any. I also did 1/2 c. oil and 1/2 c. applesauce.

7 comments:

erinmalia said...

whoa. do you have a ton of zucchini at your house or something?! i wish i did.

Terri_B said...

I have a garden FULL of zucchini! I am more than excited about these recipes. I'll post again after I try them!

]\[-]{ said...

Thanks for the Zucchini Recipe Triumvirate. Can I request labeling those so they show up in filtering?

emily said...

gosh, i'm so bad at labeling. i'll get on it.

emily said...

i guess somebody already did it for me. thanks whoever - sis?!

Terri_B said...

I made this tonight, and it was yummy! My kids and hubby loved it! Thanks!

Becky Gale F. said...

Try adding chocolate chips to this recipe. I admit the cake doesn't NEED them but it's a great addition. I baked it in a bread pan, let it cool, cut it into slices and froze it. I pop the slices in the microwave. The melted chocolate chips are a nice surprise.