Friday, February 15, 2008

Best Ever Sugar Cookie

I got this recipe from a friend, who got it from her sister, who got it from her friend. I have never made them before but had been the extremely lucky beneficiary of these delicious homemade cookies. These are the soft and oh-so-good type of sugar cookies.

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
1 egg
2 t. vanilla
1 c. sour cream
4 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Cream together the butter and sugar (my friend uses unsalted butter). Then add the egg and vanilla. Next, blend in the sour cream.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to the above creamed mixture.

Bake at 425 for 6-10 minutes.

e-notes: My friend just says the timing is always variable - mostly due to the types of pan she uses. I guess some pans require 6, some 10. Sooooo good.

Here is the recipe she uses to frost these bad boys:

4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. butter (unsalted again)
1 pound powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla

Put it all in a mixer and mix - add milk until you get your desired consistency. I could eat this with a spoon. . .

4 comments:

erinmalia said...

i did these yesterday and not sure if it's my general inability to roll out cookie dough or what, but my dough was really too sticky to roll out, even after 90 minutes in the fridge. i ended up just rolling them (like snickerdoodles) and then smushing them with my hands. they tasted great though!

Terri_B said...

I made these yesterday, and they WERE so good! My kids love them. This is definelty a recipe that I will use everytime I want sugar cookies. Thanks for sharing!

I also had to shape them with my hands. They were a little to sticky for rolling and using a cookie cutter. That didn't matter though, we just love them... Yummy and soft!

emily said...

i made these and love them, too. i just put a lot of flour on my "thing" (the rolling out thing, you know what i am talking about???) and it wasn't too sticky. i was able to cut them out with cookie-cutters. i didn't even put the dough in the fridge. so whatever works!

]\[-]{ said...

Rolling pin rings help with the pain of rolling out dough.