Monday, November 12, 2007

Steel-cut Oatmeal

1 c. steel-cut oats
3 c. water
1/4 t. salt

Bring water and salt to a boil. Add oats, reduce heat, and cook 10-20 minutes (depending on how chewy you like your cereal). Stir occasionally. Cover and remove from heat and let stand a few minutes. Makes 3 cups of cereal.

After they're cooked, you an add brown sugar to taste and milk.

Note: I realize that you may think that this is just oatmeal. But it's not. Let me introduce you to the newest member of my favorite foods: steel-cut oats. You can buy them at grocery stores (I've seen them at my Giant), but they're 2.5 times more expensive buying them there than getting them at a health food store. I found them in bulk for 99 cents per pound. They're the best oats for you, so that means they're dang healthy. But oooh so tasty at the same time. Spend enough time at my house and you'll be sure to be fed these for breakfast one day. Or two. Or every day. For every meal.

2 comments:

emily said...

yes, we LOVE steel-cut oats. another good "oat" to try: oat groats. it's like the entire oat - not cut, or rolled, or anything. just plain good.

erinmalia said...

heeding a tip from my aunt, i made some steel cut oats this way:

1 c. oats
1 3/4 c. water
1 3/4 c. milk (can do skim)
dash salt

bring the water, milk, and salt to a simmer. add oats. simmer another 25 minutes.

it's just a bit creamier (and healthier) for you this way. and still just as good!