Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pumpkin Bread

2/3 c. shortening
2 2/3 c. sugar
4 beaten eggs
15-ounce can pumpkin
2/3 c. water
3 1/3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. ground cloves
2/3 c. each nuts and raisins
1 c. chocolate chips

Cream shortening and sugar. Stir in eggs, pumpkin, water. Sift dry stuff (through cloves) and add. Fold in remaining. Pour into 2 greased bread pans. Bake at 350ยบ for 60 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from pan. Can glaze with powdered sugar, drop of milk, and vanilla.

Note from e: I tried another recipe from Cooking Light, but didn't like it nearly as much as I like this one from my mom. I didn't add the nuts or the raisins, but you can do whatever you want. Also, as I used two silicon bread pans, I had enough left over for two smaller loaves.

2 comments:

emily said...

dang, erin, when are you going to move out west and make some of that stuff for me? it looks so good - especially on this halloween day.

emily said...

i made this last nite - since it was a spur-of-the-moment thing on a sunday i didn't have nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips (boohoo) to add.

so other than the omissions, the only thing i changed was doing 1/3 c. shortening and 1/3 c. applesauce. the loaves turned out great and were very moist and tasty.