Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Black Bean Soup

from SIL Brittany

1 c. salsa
2 15 1/2 oz. black bean cans, drained and rinsed
2 c. chicken broth
1 t. lime juice
2 T. chopped cilantro

Heat salsa and then stir in beans and broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into a blender and puree. Return to the pot and stir in lime and cilantro. Heat back to warm if needed.

e-notes: Ben and I LOVE this. It is so easy and so super good. I don't know how much lime I put in it last time, but I am sure it was more than 1 t. I didn't measure, I just squeezed (I can see my sister grimacing). Ben loved the extra "zing."

3 comments:

erinmalia said...

no no! i'm not grimacing. i'm getting a little better at the "a dahs of this" thing. i love black beans. i think i'll have to make this for lunch some week.

Taste of Champaign said...

one note on the blender thing with some recipes. I find that transferring things to a blender is a hassle and tons of extra clean up. I LOVE my hand blender. I make soups, and instead of transferring to a blender, I put the hand blender in the pot and puree as much or as little as I want and it has the same effect.

I also use the hand blender for making smoothies, milkshakes, etc. It is the best thing ever! Christmas is coming...

erinmalia said...

i finally got around to making this and i'm enjoying it right now at work.

i followed em's directions exactly, but after talking with her, decided to add 1 T. of the lime juice. although, i did double this (i had expectations of loving it) so did double that.

and like linda said, getting it out of the blender was a hassle. but alas, as i have no hand blender, it was my only option.

the doubled recipe made nine one-cup servings that are proving to be perfect for my lunches. thanks em!