Sunday, September 9, 2007

Monkey Bread


1 pkg frozen roll dough (18-20)
1 (4 oz) pkg cook n' serve butterscotch pudding (not instant)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup melted butter
2 TBS cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)

1. Before going to bed, place nuts in the bottom of a bundt pan. Place the frozen dough balls evenly on top of the nuts. Do not grease the pan.
2. Mix the pudding, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon and then sprinkle over the rolls. Melt the butter and pour butter as evenly as possible over the top.
3. Cover the pan with a towel and leave it on the counter overnight to raise.
4. In the morning bake it at 350 degrees for 20-30 min or until light brown on top.
5. Invert the pan on a serving dish. Lift carefully because the sauce runs out.

8 comments:

]\[-]{ said...

This is one of our favorite recipes. We roll thawed-but-still-cold dough in the dry pudding mix before layering in the bundt pan with chopped pecans.
Using brown sugar would give a smoother, moister result. Butterscotch is made with brown sugar.
And Becky is right, the pudding mix does need to be cook'n'serve.

Taste of Champaign said...

Goodness! I was just looking for a recipe for this the other day. I can't remember what spurred the idea, but you read my mind! Thanks!

erinmalia said...

oh gosh becky. i can't wait to try this. i LOVE any kind of bread and, well, sweet breads are the best!

Becky Gale F. said...

I have edited this post. One fellow poster mentioned I forgot the brown sugar. Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I have tried it both ways and it's definitely better with the brown sugar. I also forgot the nuts. I think I was going nuts the day I posted this. Sorry about that!

erinmalia said...

oooh, we did this yesterday morning and it was soooo good. it's like the easiest cinnamon roll recipe ever. it's going to be our new "conference morning" traditional breakfast. thanks!

Taste of Champaign said...

We made this for Sunday morning conference breakfast. It was delicious!!! My husband tells me I am never aloud to make it again because it was too good to stop eating. A huge hit in our house.

One thing, I had to let it cook longer than (til top is golden brown) the inside wasn't quite finished, my top browned after about 15 minutes--be sure to cook it for the full 20-30.

erinmalia said...

i forgot to mention that i halved the butter and it came out fine. i should have read N-K's comment and rolled the dough ball in the powder mix, and will do that next conference. thanks again becky!

Becky Gale F. said...

I have both rolled the dough in the powder mix as well as sprinkling the powder mix on top. Honestly, I feel it comes out almost exactly the same either way. I didn't believe it until I tried it. I'm glad you have all enjoyed this recipe. I have also found it works well when out of town guests are over and you don't want to spend all your time in the kitchen. Enjoy!