Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mexican Tacos (American Taquitos)


I am excited to post my first recipe on the Foodee's blog! I've been gazing over all the great recipes and haven't tried any yet, but I have BIG plans to! I am constantly looking for something new and relatively simple.

I've made this for dinner guests several times recently and get rave reviews. I made this for dinner tonight, and my children love it every time and ask for it often! That tends to be a rarety, so I thought this was a good one to share. A few months ago, I asked my friend from Mexico to teach me how to make an authentic Mexican meal, little did I know how simple it would be and how much I'd love it (and my kids).

Now, I LOVE those frozen Taquitos that can be purchased at the grocery store, and this is 10 times better! Fresh yumminess! I don't have an actual recipe, so I'm going a little off the cuff here. Sorry if it is confusing:)

Ingredients:
-30 Corn Tortilla's
-shredded chicken or beef (cooked)
-can of refried beans (optional)
-fresh avocados
-fresh tomatoes
-grated cheese
-sour cream
-box mix of spanish rice on the side

Directions:
*My friend just rolled shredded beef into a corn tortilla and cooked that, but the meat kept falling out when I cooked it and I thought it needed a little something more, and to hold it together, so I mixed my meat with refried beans and it worked great!

Vegetable oil in skillet dish on med-high (not sure if there is a better oil for that)
*If it is too high, you'll get a lot of splashing bounce back onto you of the hot oil

Heat the tortilla's for 10 sec or so and they roll better. Put meat/bean mixture in and roll it and drop with tongs (to avoid splashing) into hot oil mixture. The first set takes longer and don't get as crispy. I have meat falling out sometimes, so do it carefully. Watch it and flip it and then hold it vertical to let some of the oil drop out before putting it onto a paper towel lined tray (pulls more oil out).

Serve with yummy homemade guacamole and sour cream and spanish rice.

Guacemole:
2 small avocados mashed
1 small cut up tomatoe
little lime juice
little salt
Here is my messy skillet after all are cooked and my side dishes with the meal!


2 comments:

erinmalia said...

hey kristen---welcome and thanks for sharing! the taquitos look great.

Taste of Champaign said...

didn't know I'd find you here! Welcome! Welcome!