Friday, July 13, 2007

Blueberries with Muffin

Muffins:
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 c. applesauce
1/2 c. skim milk
2 egg whites
1 1/2 c. blueberries (if frozen, don't thaw)

Topping:
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 t. skim milk
2 T. flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, egg whites, and milk. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet in two additions until well moistened. Gently fold in the blueberries. Divide the batter between 6 jumbo muffin tins (that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray). Fill each tin about 2/3 full.

In a small bowl combine topping ingredients and mix well with a fork. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins and very gently press down with your fingertips (just enough to get the topping to adhere to the batter). Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow muffins to cool for at least 15 minutes before removing them the tin. (I don't have jumbo muffin tins, so I just did regular. I got 15 muffins.)

Note from erin: I posted these here not because they're the greatest muffins out there, but because they are super low-calorie and no-fat (0 grams of fat and 90 calories per muffin, to be specific). But given those (usually taste-restricting) qualities, they're actually pretty good! You can see from the picture that I didn't do the topping. This is simply because I am HORRIBLE at crumb toppings. Just horrible. But I'm sure they would be really great with it. And I named them "blueberries with muffin" because Chuck and I really thought there was a LOT of blueberries in here. So if you like blueberries, then great! If not, reduce blueberries to probably 1 cup.

No comments: