Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Kid Friendly Taco and Rice Casserole

2-4 chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
3-6 cups of cooked Minute Rice (must be instant rice)
1 can of chicken broth
1 can of tomato sauce
1 package of Chicken Taco Seasoning
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 can of corn (drained)
Sour cream
Tortilla chips
Cheese

Brown the chicken in a couple Tablespoons of oil. Add broth, tomato sauce and the seasoning, and bring to a boil. Add the corn and peppers (chopped), mix together. Add the rice (enough for right consistency) and mix. Top with cheese and sour cream. Eat with chips. It’s yummy and fun!

So this recipe isn't an exact measurement type of recipe. (I mean 3-6 cups of rice is a huge range!) My husband thinks the more chicken the better so I use 4 chicken breasts, or an equivalent amount of those frozen chicken tenders in a bag. I don't know why it has to be instant rice, or if that's even true. I use half of a package of chicken taco seasoning (too salty?) and use a teaspoon of chicken boullion and no water instead of a can of chicken broth. There is always enough liquid from the rice (maybe I'm doing the rice wrong?) that adding the broth makes the casserole too soupy. Anyway, my family loves this recipe and if my kids eat it, I LOVE it!

2 comments:

emily said...

awesome, i know my kids will enjoy it - thanks! and thanks for making the "kids" label - good thinking.

]\[-]{ said...

I read through the recipe several times and I'm still not sure why the rice must be instant. Cooked rice should substitute for reconstituted rice. What am I not seeing?