Monday, May 31, 2010

Pioneer Bread

I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this blog, but I'm glad I did. Amy, the blog's author, posted a recipe for oatmeal whole wheat quick bread.

Ben made some last nite and we LOVED it and ate the whole thing - except for our doughy parts (I'll get to that later). Ben and I renamed it "Pioneer Bread" because of its simplicity and wholesomeness. It doesn't use yeast - just baking powder as the leavening agent. So it is super quick to make and bake.

I asked Amy if I could post her recipe here and she very kindly let me. But go check out her blog, too, because she has a lot of neat recipes and ideas there - no refined sugar products. Wholesome goodness is what her blog looks like to me.

Anyways, the recipe:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
11/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Grind oatmeal in a food processor or blender. In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, dissolve honey in oil, then stir in the milk. (I mixed the milk, coconut oil, and honey in a one cup glass measure and microwaved it until the coconut oil melted; the cold milk made it into a solid state, so I needed to liquify it). Combine both mixtures and stir until a soft dough is formed. Form the dough into a ball (I had to add a bit more flour) and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
3. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

E-notes: Ben made this and for some reason he added 2 T. honey (tho I'm sure 1 1/2 T. would be just as great!). We don't have coconut oil and so I am not sure if Ben added olive oil (don't think so) or vegetable oil (think so). Our blender broke weeks ago (but we just bought a new one today!) and so we couldn't blend up the oats. So we used quick oats as they are slightly more blended-up like. Amy mentioned adding some more flour and Ben did as well. But apparently Ben's ball of dough was a little too high and round - ours didn't quite look like Amy's more oblong-round shape. Ours was more round-round shape. And due to that we think it didn't cook as well in the center and so it was a little doughy. But still oh so delicious - just simple goodness!

Thanks, again, Amy for letting me share this recipe. We are trying to come up with another reason to make some more today - but we don't think our pizza-dinner needs this with it tonite dangit.

No comments: