Friday, December 11, 2009

Apple Walnut Pancakes

1 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
2 egg yolks
4 T. butter
1 1/3 c. milk
3/4 t. vanilla
1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
1/3 c. coarsely chopped walnuts, lightly toasted and cooled completely

Start by prepping the walnuts. Chop them to a coarse chop and then put on cookie sheet in oven at 325 for about 8 minutes. They need to be completely cooled before using. Then, melt the butter and then let it cool completely too.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar.

In a medium bowl, add the egg, egg yolks, melted butter, milk, and vanilla and whisk to blend. Pour the egg mixture over the flour mix and stir just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Add the apple, walnuts, and stir to combine.

Cook on a griddle that is greased.

Serve the pancakes straight off the griddle, sprinkled with powdered sugar OR with warm syrup. I highly recommend the warm syrup. Also, please don't do this without toasting the walnuts. They're so tasty toasted.

1 comment:

emily said...

I made these last nite and they are delicious. I did 1/2 the butter because that's what I do. Also I am lazy AND a big fan of apple-peel, and so I did not peel the apple. I just took the apple whole and grated it.

The toasted walnuts are very good and definitely have a distinct toasty flavor. I just ate leftover pancakes plain today for lunch - warmed up. YUM.