Wednesday, April 1, 2009

English Muffin Bread


I never knew there was even such a thing until my mom came to visit.  Now I'm not sure I'll ever buy English muffins from the store again.

2 c. milk (skim worked fine)
1/2 c. water
2 T. cornmeal (I just guesstimated)
6 c. bread flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 T. sugar
2 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda

Warm the milk and water in a small saucepan until very warm (125 degrees).  Lightly grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans; sprinkle cornmeal inside pans.

In a large bowl, mix together three cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and soda.  Stir milk into the flour mixture; beat well.  Stir in the remaining flour, one cup at a time, until a stiff batter (mine was more doughy) is formed.  Spoon batter into prepared pans.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes (I had to put foil on mine at minute 20 to prevent darkening).  Remove from pans immediately and cool.

1 comment:

cucina mamma said...

this looks so good! can't wait to try it out.