Friday, February 13, 2009

Ginger's Tortilla Soup

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
2 cans chicken broth
1 can (4oz.) green chilies (undrained)
1 can (28 oz.) diced or crushed tomatoes
2 chicken breasts (can be frozen!)

Saute the onion and garlic in a little oil. Add cumin and chili powder. Saute. Add 2 cans chicken broth, green chilies, tomatoes and chicken breasts. Boil for 20 minutes.

Remove the chicken to shred.
Drain and rinse 1 can kidney beans, drain 1 can of corn and add those and the shredded chicken to the pot.

Simmer for one hour.

When serving, add toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, lime, salsa, cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips.

QUESTION for those who are wiser in the kitchen than I - is there a reason I'm adding chili powder when there are actual chilis in the recipe?

NOTES - This recipe is pretty open to interpretation. You could use fresh tomatoes, fresh corn etc. less or more chicken broth, less or more other ingredients etc. I use 1 chicken breast and 2 cans of kidney beans. Or you could just omit the chicken. Also, I use a hand blender in the pot before I add the corn, beans and chicken back in. None of my family (including me) like chunks of tomato.

This meal is easy and delicious, it looks pretty and my kids love it!

3 comments:

]\[-]{ said...

@OP's question:
1. The green chilies contribute a different flavor/texture/color than the powder.

2. The flavor is denser in the powder than in the chilies. You get a lot of flavor with a little powder.

3. Just as curry powder is not made of ground curry (but rather cumin, turmeric, fenugreek, and more), chili powder is chili pepper cut with salt and garlic powder, and maybe other spices too, depending on your brand. This is why your recipe doesn't call for salt...well, that and the canned goods contain a bucketload of salt too. If you use fresh ingredients (tomatoes, broth, corn, beans) as noted, you will need to add salt.

That being said, I am confused at the small amount of chili powder called for. I think I would add a teaspoon or two of chili powder at least.

OK, shutting up now.

rebecca said...

]\[-]{,
(Sorry, I don't know your name!)

Thank you so much for your comments. I have so much to learn and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

emily said...

we had this last week and it was very tasty. unfortunately my stewed tomatoes had some jalepenos in it and it was way too hot for my kids (and me, too, for the most part). my husband loved it. i know i would have loved it if i could have eaten more than a few bites before my mouth burned.

good stuff.