Saturday, August 18, 2007

Dixie's Famous Kalua Pork

1/2 c. soy sauce
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I use minced because it's already like that in the jar)
2 T. chopped ginger (again, I'm lazy and I'm sure it's just crushed ginger)
Liquid smoke to taste
3-5 lbs. Boston butt or country ribs

Put meat in oven bag and cook at 350 degrees until over done. Drain the fat. Pull apart and toss with sauce. That's it.

Note: Notice that this is "Dixie's" kalua. That's why the directions are slightly vague (years of doing this help my mom, but not me). So here's what Chuck and I did tonight. We had about 6.5 lbs of fresh Boston Butt (bought at Sam's Club for $1.50/lb). Cook in oven bag at 350 degrees for about four hours. What my mom means by "over done" is that the meat should fall off the bone. It should NOT be tough at all. The meat at this point will be tasteless. And regarding the liquid smoke...it's a very very very small amount, like 1/4 of a capful. I add it to the sauce very last and will dip the meat in the sauce until I like the taste. This stuff is GREAT. Ask emily. And it easily serves a lot of people. General rule for how much to purchase: if bone-in, about 2/3 lb. per person. If boneless, then only 1/2 lb. per person.

5 comments:

Taste of Champaign said...

I have to say, Erin made this at my mom's house last August. I remember loving it soooo much. Of course I was pregnant at the time and didn't know it. I just kept eating and eating and eating. It has good memories for me.

Becky Gale F. said...

This stuff is a serious HOME RUN! Dixie made this for us once when I was Erin's roommate. I have made it many times since and it's always a crowd pleaser. This is a must have.

emily said...

besides chicken and turkey, i'm not much of a meat fan. but this stuff is GREAT. really.

note about how much to purchase: that advice was probably from my mom (right, erin?). if so, plan on left-overs! which is great - you'll want left-overs.

Taste of Champaign said...

we made this last night. A 2.5 roast was just the right amount for our family. I put it in the oven before church, dropped the temp down to 300, and it was perfectly done when we got home. I made the sauce, and dinner was done! A new regular in our house this one will be! The 4 kids don't eat a ton, but we had enough left for me to make a sandwich for lunch today.

emily said...

i made this up last week and thought i should add my comments. i cook this in a crock-pot on high. i had almost 7 pounds of meat and cooked it for at least 6 hours.

i did 1 1/2 the sauce recipe. i don't go quite as light as erin does on the liquid smoke - my copy of the recipe shows 1 t. liquid smoke. i did 1 1/2 t. total and it was not too much at all.