Saturday, July 14, 2007

Chicken Lasagna Alfredo

A couple of things: If you want it like traditional lasagna, use lasagna noodles. I just really like the bow tie. It makes a lot of food. If you are a smaller family, you might want to prepare it in two pans and freeze one before cooking.

This meal is seriously one of our favorites. Tons of flavor!

16 oz bow tie pasta
1 jar (16 oz) Alfredo sauce (or buy the dry packet and prepare it-it makes 8 oz, I just add another cup of milk)
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 can (14oz) artichoke hearts in water (don't get the ones in a marinade), drained and chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, pressed
3 cups shredded mozz. cheese
4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
2 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves, about 4 oz. (I don't really measure this, I just use the whole bag)
oven 375

Cook pasta using shortest cook time; drain and set aside.

Combine Alfredo sauce, additional milk, and oregano. whisk until blended and set aside.

Chop artichokes, and combine with chicken, onion, garlic, and both cheeses. Mix well.
Spread 2/3 cup Alfredo sauce over bottom of 9x13 pan. Top with half of the noodles, layer half the spinach over the noodles; top with half the chicken mixture. Repeat the layers starting with half of the remaining sauce. After layering, pour remaining sauce over top of casserole.

Cover pan with foil, bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes more.
Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

7 comments:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

is this in my cookbook you made me?

erinmalia said...

this looks good linda. i wonder if chuck likes alfredo sauce?

Taste of Champaign said...

Kristen~it's not! I just discovered that yesterday and I was flabbergasted. Seriously we LOVE this one. We try not to have seconds at dinner time, and this is the one night we always make an exception.

Daniel said...

Linda, this sounds so good. I'm really excited to try it. We have a really good and really simple alfredo recipe that I can't wait to try with this. I'll try and post the alfredo for all. Oh, while we are talkting, I know that it's not that fancy, but I've always loved Muma's potato chip chicken. If you don't want to post it here, could you post it on my blog?

Taste of Champaign said...

I'll post it when I get the chance. I just made it for dinner Sunday night with a yummy funeral potato recipe! Sunday's are our nights to eat without guilt since it's pretty much our only real meal of the day.

Daniel said...

We tried this last night and it was so good. We took a risk and had two other couples over for an experimental sunday dinner and it could not have gone any better. We even had requests for the recipe. Good job "living in Tally."

erinmalia said...

we finally got around to trying this. it was really really great! we used daniel's alfredo sauce (AWESOME, d) and everything else like you said. and yes, for our family of 2 1/2, it made a TON. we'll have leftovers tonight and then i froze the rest for lunches. but thanks linda!